Outreach Coordinator's Handbook
Jeff E. Brooks-Harris, J. Judd Harbin, Laura W. Doto, Paulette M. Stronczek, & Bert H. Epstein
1. Developing a Philosophy of Outreach
- Why should you provide outreach on your campus? What is your purpose? What are your beliefs about the value of outreach? What is your philosophy of outreach?
- It may be helpful to clarify the reason you are doing a particular workshop. Is the purpose of this workshop to: (a) educate about a particular topic, (b) give people tools to use, (c) help them think in a new way, or (d) advertise the counseling center?
- Two common philosophies of outreach include prevention and development.
- A preventative philosophy of outreach assumes that outreach programs are designed to prevent negative consequences from occurring on campus. More details about three levels of prevention are provided in the next section, Outreach as Prevention.
- A developmental philosophy of outreach assumes that outreach interventions can be used to enhance or accelerate normal development.
- A developmental philosophy is not based on the assumption that there is a problem to prevent but that there is experience to enhance.
- Developmental outreach can help student develop skills, attitudes, or knowledge.
- To learn more about different outreach philosophies, you might want to read some of the Books about Workshop Design. For example...
- Developmental Interventions: Theories, Principles and Practice by Drum & Lawler (1988) describes an developmental philosophy.
- Preparing, Designing, Leading Workshops: A Humanistic Approach by Cooper & Heenan (1980) describes a humanistic philosophy.
- Workshops: Designing and Facilitating Experiential Learning by Brooks-Harris & Stock-Ward (1999) describes an experiential learning philosophy.
contents | next page
Copyright © 2000 Workshop Central. Permission
is granted to copy and use this material for educational and
non-profit purposes only. This copyright statement and
acknowledgement of authorship should remain intact on materials
you copy from this website.