Leadership Skills for Action
Brooks-Harris, Kevin G. Shollenberger, & Jan M. Javinar
Hawai`i at Manoa
This part of our model of student leadership skills is still
under development. Here's our preliminary list of 16 leadership
skills for action divided into three steps. We hope to add
definitions and tips as well as worksheets by the end of 1999.
BUILDING A TEAM
- Forming Your Team & Defining Roles
ensuring that everyone has a clear function
- Opening Communication creating a system in
which everyone has a voice
- Cultivating Diversity using differences to
strengthen rather than divide
- Creating a Sense of Trust making the group
safe so everyone can contribute fully
- Resolving Conflicts smoothing out the
SETTING A DIRECTION
- Creating a Vision
- Making Group Decisions
- Identifying & Solving Problems
- Setting Goals
- Planning Action & Delegating Responsibility
- Taking Principled Stands
- Motivating / Empowering / Coaching
- Identifying Allies & Creating Support Systems
- Collaborating & Following Through
- Encouraging Creativity, Taking Risks & Making
- Handling Criticism & Attacks
Copyright © 1999. Jeff E.
Brooks-Harris, Kevin G. Shollenberger & Jan M. Javinar.
Permission is granted to copy and use this handout provided this
copyright notice remains intact.
Back to Leadership page.
Back to Jeff Brooks-Harris' homepage.