"It's My Turn"
- ASAP and me & Future workshops
- Goal of today
- What are some of the specific concerns that students have?
- Purpose of classroom discussion
- Opportunity to clarify ideas
- Enhance familiarity with subject
- Develop and evaluate ideas
- Opportunity to demonstrate your ideas to instructor, classmates and yourself
- The roles we play in a discussion (all at once)
- Participant/Active listener
- Facilitator: Helps the group to stay on topic and participate
- Clarifier: reflective listening skills
- Reporter: Note-taking and presenting
- Preparing for these roles (like paper writing)
- Note-take and write
- Group discussion (activity) -- assign roles and resolve problem
- Brainstorm ideas for entering conversation
- Discuss responses to these ideas -- what works for one may not for another
- Make recommendation to larger group
- Large group recommendations list
- What suggestion will you take back to the classroom?
- Other workshops
Copyright © 1999 Laura W. Doto. Permission is granted to copy and use this material for educational and non-profit purposes only. This copyright statement and acknowledgement of authorship should remain intact on materials you copy from this website.